Donovan earned his B.S. at Menlo College, and his J.D. at the University of Oregon School of Law, where he served as the Editor of the Oregon International Law Review. He was also very active in the community throughout his time at the University of Oregon School of Law and held a wide variety of leadership roles. Donovan served as a Board Member of the Law and Entrepreneurship Student Association, Conference Director of the Sports & Entertainment Law Forum, led his team as a Captain of the Legal Basketball Assocation, and was a member of the Law of Intellectual Property Student Association. Throughout Donovan’s undergraduate and legal education, he has consistently prioritized diversity initiatives in his professional and local community through his contributions to the Menlo College Black Student Union, where he served as President, and the University of Oregon’s Black Law Students Association.
- Counsel for Public University: Represented University in high-profile gender discrimination and pay equity suit.
- Counsel for Private University: Represented University in response to student complaint filed with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
- Counsel for Nonprofit: Advised on employee termination; Represented Nonprofit in response to employee complaint file with the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries.
- Counsel for Private Business: Represented Business on enforcement of employment agreement and engagement in acts of tortious interference.
- Counsel for Private Company: Conducted pay equity analysis to develop a system for efficiently and effectively adjusting compensation to comply with the Oregon Pay Equity Law.
Professional Experience and Affiliations▲▼
- Oregon Chapter of the National Bar Association: Member (2019-present)
- Multnomah Bar Association Young Lawyers Section: Member (2018-present); Membership Committee (2018-present)
- Gus J. Solomon Inns of Court: Member (2017-2018)
- Nike, Inc.: Legal Extern (2017)
- Bonneville Power Administration: Law Clerk (2016-2017)
- University of Oregon School of Law: Law and Entrepreneurship Student Association, Board Member (2015-2017); Sports & Entertainment Law Forum, Conference Director (2014-2017); Legal Basketball Association, Captain (2014-2017); Black Law Students Association, Member (2014-2017); Law of Intellectual Property Student Association, Member (2014-2017)
- Graduate of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy: Deposition Skills (2019)
- Barran Liebman Annual Seminar: “Capsized Kayaks: Don’t Let a Data Breach Sink Your Workplace,” Presenter (9/27/18)
- Barran Liebman Client Training: “Labor & Employment Law Update”; “Sexual Harassment Culture Shift: Your Business, Your People, Your Work Environment” (4/11/18)
- “The Oregon Equal Pay Law is Here, So Where Do I Begin?,” Cascade Business News, February 20, 2019
- “Exercising One's Right to Free Speech Can Come With a Price,” Daily Journal of Commerce, June 25, 2018
- “Supreme Court Cuts the Cake Thin in Colorado Bakery Case,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 6, 2018
- “Digital Accessibility: Building a Web-Based Environment Available to All,” Association of Corporate Counsel Oregon Newsletter, May 29, 2018
- “Are Reasonable Accommodations ‘For the Birds?’,” Daily Journal of Commerce, March 23, 2018
- The Portland Opera’s Young Patron Society: Member (2018-present)
- Urban League of Portland Young Professionals, Member (2017-present)
- Education First: Scholar Selection, Chair (2016-present)