A former federal judicial clerk, Charlotte also represents employers in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies throughout the region, such as BOLI, the EEOC, and the California Labor Commissioner’s Office. Charlotte’s dedication to her clients has been recognized by
Magazine, which has designated her a “Rising Star”.
Charlotte graduated from the University of Oregon Law School, where she served on the Oregon Law Review and received the Maxine Lee Award for editorial excellence. Years working as a lobbyist in the California State Legislature before law school make Charlotte a loyal advocate, and she brings that passion to her community work. She has been an active board member for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Portland Metropolitan Area since 2017.
- Counsel for Multi-State Employer: Advised on restructuring paid time off program to reduce overhead and avoid liability for wage violations.
- Counsel for Regional Education Company: Obtained dismissal of claims alleging wage and hour violations and personal liability for company owner.
- Counsel in BOLI Contested Case Hearing: Defeated claims for whistleblower retaliation in case prosecuted by the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries.
- Counsel for Healthcare Provider: Briefed and argued motion to dismiss on behalf of hospital client that brought a quick and very favorable settlement.
- Counsel for International Software Brand: Advised in acquisition of California company, and developed restrictive covenants and invention assignment agreements for transferred employees.
- Counsel for Nonprofit Business: Defeated employee complaint on behalf of medical client filed with Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) and US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission with claims of discrimination based on gender and use of Oregon paid sick leave. BOLI dismissed the complaint 3 days after receiving our position statement.
- Counsel for Private Business: Resolved workers’ compensation claim on behalf of healthcare client with a favorable settlement for one-third the value of the claim.
- Counsel for County Government: Successfully defended government entity deposition regarding highly complex issues relating to medical leave retaliation, ADA compliance, and protection of sensitive attorney-client privileged information.
- Counsel for Public University: Represented a state university before the Oregon Court of Appeals regarding FERPA privacy and PECBA duties, in addition to preparing the amicus brief filed on behalf of public education institutions.
- Counsel for Startup Company: Negotiated separation of founding member and advised CEO and Board of Directors to accomplish a smooth separation.
Professional Experience and Affiliations▲▼
- Portland Human Resources Management Association (PHRMA), Member (2018-present)
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), Member (2018-present)
- Oregon State Bar: Pro Bono Committee, Member (2017-2018); Labor and Employment Section, Member (2013-present)
- Multnomah Bar Association: Member (2017-present)
- California State Bar: Labor and Employment Law Section, Member (2017-present)
- Oregon Women Lawyers: Working Parents Subcommittee, Member (2013-present)
- Graduate of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy: Deposition Skills (2019)
- Oregon Super Lawyers Magazine: Rising Star (2018-present)
- Oregon Law Review: Maxine Lee Award for Editorial Excellence (2012)
- Barran Liebman Webinar: “The Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Best Practices for Leave Administration,” Presenter (6/30/20)
- Oregon Science Startup Forum Panel: “How Do I Form A Company?,” Panelist (6/24/20)
- Barran Liebman Client Training: “That’s Not How We Do Things Here: Harassment Free Workplace Training,” (5/28/20, 6/2/20)
- Portland Human Resource Management Association (PHRMA) Webinar: “Navigating COVID-19 for HR Professionals: Regulations & Business Re-Opening,” Presenter (5/12/20)
- The Oregon Alliance of Independent Colleges & Universities Webinar: “Administering FFCRA Leave,” Presenter (5/6/20)
- Portland Human Resource Management Association (PHRMA) Webinar: “COVID-19: HR Stability in Unstable Times,” Presenter (4/15/20)
- Barran Liebman Annual Seminar: “The One, The Only, The Greatest Case Law Update on Earth,” Co-Presenter (10/10/19)
- Portland Metro Payroll Association: “2019 Legislative Update: Before & After,” Presenter (8/21/19)
- Barran Liebman Client Training: “Legal Aspects of Managing Employees,” (7/9/19)
- Yamhill County Human Resource Association: “HR Must Knows & Employment Law Best Practices for 2019,” Presenter (5/9/19)
- Oregon Science Startup Forum Panel: “How Do I Form A Company?,” Panelist (4/20/19)
- Portland Human Resources Management Association (PHRMA): “Essentials of Human Resources,” Presenter (10/23/18)
- Oregon Workers’ Compensation Annual Educational Conference: “Navigating the Intersection of OFLA, FMLA & the ADA with Workers’ Compensation Claims,” Presenter (9/26/18)
- Oregon Science Startup Forum: “How to Form a Company,” Panelist (4/28/18)
- Portland Human Resources Management Association (PHRMA): “Love in the Workplace: Unwanted Contact By Any Other Name Would Be Just As Offensive,” (3/5/18)
- Barran Liebman Client Training: “Religious Accommodation in a Religion-Sponsored Workplace,” (2/2/18)
- Barran Liebman Client Training: “Employment Law Essentials,” (9/19/17)
- CLE for Oregon State Bar Accreditation: “Oregon Legal Citation and Form,” Presenter (3/20/17)
- “California Retroactively Renews COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 26, 2021
- “New E-Verify Tools Expedite Employment Eligibility Confirmation,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 17, 2021
- “California Family Rights Act Including More Oregon Employers,” Oregon Business Report, March 10, 2021
- “California Family Rights Act Expanded to Include More Northwest Employers,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 1, 2021
- “Should Employers Require COVID-19 Vaccinations? Considerations & Best Practices for Employers,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, January 22, 2021
- “Applying the New FFCRA ‘Health Care Provider’ Exclusion,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, October 20, 2020
- “New Answers From Department of Labor for FFCRA Leave in Upcoming School Year,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, August 31, 2020
- “Rules on Eligibility for Federal Emergency Paid Leave Called Into Question,” Cascade Business News, August 19, 2020
- “Business Deadline on Pregnancy Notices,” Oregon Business Report, June 28, 2020
- “Key Facts on New National (Virus) Worker Paid Sick Leave,” Oregon Business Report, April 2, 2020
- “Ins & Outs of FFCRA Tax Credits,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, April 2, 2020
- “Today is April 1: Know What Documentation to Collect From Employees Requesting FFCRA,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, April 1, 2020
- “Today is April 1: FFCRA Eligibility Begins; Posted Notice is Required,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, April 1, 2020
- “Remote Work: Harnessing the Benefits While Minimizing the Risk,” Daily Journal of Commerce, March 27, 2020
- “New Start Date: Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL) & Expanded FMLA (EFMLA) Leave Now Required April 1 (Not April 2),” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 25, 2020
- “New Federal Emergency Family Leave & Emergency Paid Sick Leave as Part of Coronavirus Aid Package,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 19, 2020
- “Harassment Prevention Regulations for Multistate Employers,” Daily Journal of Commerce, September 27, 2019
- Featured by hrsimple: “OR Non-Competes & The (Hula) Hoops Required,” August 7, 2019
- “It’s Here: Oregon Paid Family and Medical Leave,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, July 3, 2019
- “It’s Termination O’Clock: Do You Know Where Your Noncompetition Agreements Are?,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 28, 2019
- “It’s Twins!: Two Oregon Laws Provide New Protections for Pregnant & Nursing Mothers,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 5, 2019
- “No-Match Letters Are Back,” Cascade Business News, May 15, 2019
- “Not So Fast: One More Thing For Your Updated FMLA Policy,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 18, 2019
- “Employee or Contractor? Lessons from California,” Cascade Business News, October 17, 2018
- “Oregon Model Policies and Forms Manual,” hrsimple.com, June 16, 2018
- “Actions that Firms Can Take to Respond to the #MeToo Movement,” Daily Journal of Commerce, January 26, 2018
- “Employers Prepare: OregonSaves Launching in July”, Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 8, 2017
- “Trump Ousts Labor Department’s Blacklisting Rule,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, March 28, 2017
- “Minding the Difference Between Noncompetition and Nonsolicitation Agreements,” Cascade Business News, March 23, 2017
- “When Weather Wreaks Havoc: An HR professional’s guide for all of those inclement weather days,” HR.com, March 20, 2017
- “Lack of ADA Accommodation Request May Not Matter,” Daily Journal of Commerce, December 23, 2016
- “Oregon Sick Leave Law Update,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, December 13, 2016
- “EEOC Issues Updated Guidelines on National Origin Discrimination,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, November 23, 2016
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Metropolitan Portland: Associate Board, Chair (2019-2020); Associate Board, Member (2017-present); Operations Director (2017-2018)
- University of Oregon Law School Alumni Association: Portland Committee (2017-present)