Donovan earned his B.S. at Menlo College, and his J.D. at the University of Oregon School of Law, where he served as an Editor of the Oregon International Law Review. Throughout his time at the University of Oregon School of Law, he held a wide variety of leadership roles, including Board Member of the Law and Entrepreneurship Student Association, Conference Director of the Sports & Entertainment Law Forum, Captain of the Legal Basketball Association, and member of the Black Law Students Association. To date, Donovan consistently prioritizes diversity initiatives in his professional and local community. He is invested in the American Bar Association, recently being named as Scholar of the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division. In addition, he was selected as Vice Chair of the Labor & Employment Committee and a member of the Men of Color Project in the Young Lawyers Division. Through these roles, Donovan strives to empower others to become leaders in the legal profession.
- Counsel for Public University: Represented University in high-profile gender discrimination and pay equity suit.
- Counsel for Private University: Represented University in response to student complaint filed with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
- Counsel for Nonprofit: Advised on employee termination; Represented Nonprofit in response to employee complaint file with the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries.
- Counsel for Private Business: Represented Business on enforcement of employment agreement and engagement in acts of tortious interference.
- Counsel for Private Company: Conducted pay equity analysis to develop a system for efficiently and effectively adjusting compensation to comply with the Oregon Pay Equity Law.
Professional Experience and Affiliations▲▼
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division: Scholar (2019-present); Labor & Employment Committee, Vice Chair (2019-present); Men of Color Project, Member (2019-present)
- Oregon Chapter of the National Bar Association: Member (2019-present)
- Multnomah Bar Association Young Lawyers Section: Member (2018-present); Membership Committee (2018-present)
- Gus J. Solomon Inns of Court: Member (2017-2018)
- Nike, Inc.: Legal Extern (2017)
- Bonneville Power Administration: Law Clerk (2016-2017)
- University of Oregon School of Law: Law and Entrepreneurship Student Association, Board Member (2015-2017); Sports & Entertainment Law Forum, Conference Director (2014-2017); Legal Basketball Association, Captain (2014-2017); Black Law Students Association, Member (2014-2017); Law of Intellectual Property Student Association, Member (2014-2017)
- Graduate of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy: Deposition Skills (2019)
- Barran Liebman Annual Seminar: “Capsized Kayaks: Don’t Let a Data Breach Sink Your Workplace,” Presenter (9/27/18)
- Barran Liebman Client Training: “Labor & Employment Law Update”; “Sexual Harassment Culture Shift: Your Business, Your People, Your Work Environment” (4/11/18)
- “The Oregon Equal Pay Law is Here, So Where Do I Begin?,” Cascade Business News, February 20, 2019
- “Exercising One's Right to Free Speech Can Come With a Price,” Daily Journal of Commerce, June 25, 2018
- “Supreme Court Cuts the Cake Thin in Colorado Bakery Case,” Barran Liebman Electronic Alert, June 6, 2018
- “Digital Accessibility: Building a Web-Based Environment Available to All,” Association of Corporate Counsel Oregon Newsletter, May 29, 2018
- “Are Reasonable Accommodations ‘For the Birds?’,” Daily Journal of Commerce, March 23, 2018
- The Portland Opera’s Young Patron Society: Member (2018-present)
- Urban League of Portland Young Professionals, Member (2017-present)
- Education First: Scholar Selection, Chair (2016-2019)